Thursday, October 4, 2012

Choose happiness for yourself.

My mom’s best friend was over and I hadn’t seen her in months. So, she sees me, we hug, and then she compliments my new hair colour but then she says to me “there’s something different about your face” and I said “um, well… I’m much happier than I ever was” and she starts smiling that suspicious smile and continues on “you’re glowing! There must be something making you this happy…” and I responded “well, yeah, actually, God is” and yet I know what she was thinking and then she confirmed my thoughts by asking me who the guy is. I told her there is no guy. That I have changed a lot over the past several months and I am simply happy, in and of myself (with the relentless help of God). And she gave me a look like she knew better and I reassured her that God is the only (and best) man in my life. She didn’t believe me.

And this just struck me. Because it goes to show what the world has conditioned people to believe. The world sends out the message “if you are happy, then there MUST be a guy or girl in your life who is causing it.” When really, that isn’t always true, and honestly I don’t think it should be that way at all.
Happiness comes from within, it comes from yourself. It is a conscious decision you make for yourself. And if you’re unhappy, and you get a boyfriend/girlfriend, then become happy because of them… then every time they let you down, or hurt you, or don’t live up to your expectation, or are disappointed in you…. you wont be able to stand on your own because they are the source of your joy, and they are no longer giving you joy.

It is so important to build up your own joy, your own reasons to be happy. Why would you settle for letting someone else make you happy when you can be happy on your own with or without a significant other in your life?

Don’t let yourself be complete by another person. That is selling yourself short. Plus, it’s unfair to give such a huge responsibility to the other person, as if they could find any way to make you happy when you’re not.


No comments: